1887
Volume 2009, Issue 1
  • ISSN: 0253-8253
  • E-ISSN: 2227-0426

Abstract

A 32-year-old man presented to the emergency department complaining of difficulty of swallowing. Four weeks ago he swallowed an unknown quantity of a bleaching substance (sodium hypochlorite) by mistake and was admitted to the hospital for three days. A barium swallow via a naso-oesophageal tube was carried out.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.2009.1.25
2009-05-01
2019-11-20
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

References

  1. Goldman LP, Weigert JM. Corrosive substance ingestion: A review. Am J Gastroenterol. 1984; 79::85.
    [Google Scholar]
  2. Wasserman RL, Ginsburg CM. Caustic substance injuries. J Pediatr. 1985; 107::169.
    [Google Scholar]
  3. Zargar SA, Kochlar R, Nagi B, et al., Ingestion of corrosive alkalis. Spectrum of injury to upper gastrointestinal tract and natural history. Am J Gastroenterol. 1992; 87::337.
    [Google Scholar]
  4. Gumaste W, Dave PB. Ingestion of corrosive substances by adults. Am J Gastroenterol. 1992; 87::1.
    [Google Scholar]
  5. Poley JW, Steyerberg EW, Kuipers EJ, et al., Ingestion of acid and alkaline agents: Outcome and prognostic value of early upper endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004; 60::372.
    [Google Scholar]
  6. Broor SL, Raju GS, Bore PP, et al., Long-term results of endoscopic dilation for treatment of corrosive esophageal strictures. Gut. 1993; 34::1498.
    [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.2009.1.25
Loading
  • Article Type: Research Article
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error