1887
Volume 2006, Issue 2
  • ISSN: 0253-8253
  • E-ISSN: 2227-0426

Abstract

In this retrospective study we sought to determine the outcome of pregnancies associated with intrauterine contraceptive devices. Medical records of2000 women, who used IUCD, were reviewed in detail. All IUCDs were inserted either post menstrual, post delivery or post miscarriage. 1196 (60%) IUCDs were inserted by doctors and the remaining 804 (40%) by midwives. The cohort was divided to four groups on the basis of their age. There were 300, 950, 300 and 450 women in 18-22,23-27,28-32 and 33-37 years groups respectively. They were also divided to three groups on the basis of their parity with 300 Para 1 women, 1100 Para 2-4 women and 600 Para 5 or more. 37 (1.85%) unintended pregnancies occurred, including 35 intrauterine pregnancy and 2 ectopic pregnancies. 9 (3%) of these pregnancies occurred in 18-22 year group, 16 (1.68%) in 23-27 age group, 8 (2.67%) in 28-32 age group and 4 (0.89%) in 33-37 age group (Fig. 1). 19 (1.59%) of the pregnancies occurred in women whose IUCDs were inserted by medical staff and 18 (1.51%) in those whose IUCDs were inserted by midwives. The outcome of intrauterine pregnancies included 19 (51%) term pregnancies, 9 (24%) miscarriages, no septic abortions, 7 (19%) Preterm labour including 2, 26-28 weeks and 5 29-32 weeks. No puerperal sepsis or congenital abnormalities were reported (Fig. 2).

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.2006.2.11
2006-11-01
2019-10-16
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

References

  1. 1. Rivera   R., , Chen-Mok   M., , McMullen   S. . Analysis of client characteristics that may affect early discontinuation of the TCu-380A IUD. . Contraception . 1999 Sep; ;60: 3 : 155– 160 .
    [Google Scholar]
  2. 2. Milsom   I., , Andersson   K., , Jonasson   K., , Lindstedt   G., , Rybo   G. . The influence of the Gyne-T 380S IUD on menstrual blood loss and iron status. . Contraception . 1995 Sep; ;52: 3 : 175– 179 .
    [Google Scholar]
  3. 3. Long-term reversible contraception . Twelve years of experience with the TCu380A and TCu220C. . Contraception . 1997 Dec; ;56: 6 : 341– 352 .
    [Google Scholar]
  4. 4.   World Health Organization; mechanism of action, safety, and efficacy of intrauterine devices. . World Organ Tech Rep Ser . 1987; ; : 753– 791 .
    [Google Scholar]
  5. 5. Hatcher   RA., , Trussell   J., , Stewart   F. , et al. , Contraceptive Technology, 17th revised ed . New York City, New York: : Ardent Media, Inc;   1998; .
    [Google Scholar]
  6. 6. Sivin   I., , Schmidt   F. . Effectiveness of IUDs: A review. . Contraception . 1987 Jul; ;36: 1 : 55– 84 .
    [Google Scholar]
  7. 7. Report of a WHO Scientific Group . Mechanism of action, safety and efficacy of intrauterine devices. . World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser . 1987; ;753: : 1 .
    [Google Scholar]
  8. 8.   World Health Organization, The TCu380A, TCu220C, multiload 250 and Nova TIUDS at 3,5 and 7 years of use - results from three randomized multicentre trials, Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction: Task Force on the Safety and Efficacy of Fertility Regulating Methods. . Contraception . 1990 Aug; ;42: 2 : 141– 158 .
    [Google Scholar]
  9. 9. Diaz   S., , Croxatto   HB., , Parez   M. , et al. , Ectopic pregnancies associated with low-dose progestogen-releasing IUDs. . Contraception . 1980; ;22: : 259– 269 .
    [Google Scholar]
  10. 10. Vessy   MP., , Yeates   D., , Flavel   R. . Risk of ectopic pregnancy and duration of an intrauterine device. . Lancet . 1979b; ;2: : 501 .
    [Google Scholar]
  11. 11. Tatum   HJ., , Schmidt   FH., , Jain   AK. . Management and outcome of pregnancies associated with Copper-T intrauterine contraceptive device. . Am J Obstet Gynecol . 1976; ;126: : 869 .
    [Google Scholar]
  12. 12. Vessy   MP., , Meisler   L., , Flavel   R., , Yeates   D. . Outcome of pregnancy in women using different methods of contraception. . Br J Obstet Gynecol . 1979; ;86: : 548 .
    [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.2006.2.11
Loading
  • Article Type: Research Article
Keyword(s): Contraception , Ectopic Pregnancy , Intrauterine Contracepteive Device and Miscarriage
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error