1887
Volume 1997, Issue 1
  • ISSN: 0253-8253
  • E-ISSN: 2227-0426

Abstract

The present study describes the indications and results of 636 Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA) procedures that were carried out in 596 patients. Of these, 366 (61.4 %) patients had Single Vessel Disease (SVD), 183 (30.7%) had Two Vessel Disease (2VD) and 47 (7.8%) had all Three Vessels Diseased (3VD). Dilatation of a single lesion was carried out in 564 (93.5%) patients. In another 41 (6.5%) patients, more than one vessel was dilated. The patients were predominantly male (562/596,93%) with a mean age of 46 (7.9 years. The indication for angiography was angina in 65.8% and for recent Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI) in 34.2%. The number of procedures increased from 106 in 86-89 to 320 in 92-96 (an increase of 280%).

PTCA was carried out in the same session as the angiography in 113/596 (19%). In the remaining 81%, PTCA was planned as an elective procedure with a similar success rate (85% and 87% respectively, p=N.S). Females and Qatari patients had the highest success rates (97.6% and 90.5%) respectively.

The Left Anterior Descending (LAD) was the most frequently tackled vessel (53% of cases), Left Circumflex (LCX) in 20% and Right Coronary Artery (RCA) in 27%. For coronary stenoses, the overall success rate was 89%, being highest in the LAD (89.5%), lowest for LCX (82%) and moderate for RCA (88%). When faced with a total occlusion the overall success rate was 71% and was highest in RCA (84% success) and lowest in LCX (43%) and moderate in LAD (74%). Major complications were rare with only one mortality (1/596, 0.16%) and four emergency CABG is (4/596, 0.7%). Intracoronary stents were used as a bailout device in five patients and to obtain an optimal result in one patient. Stents were technically successful in all but one case.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.1997.1.4
1997-11-01
2019-09-20
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.5339/qmj.1997.1.4
Loading

Supplements

Supplementary File 1

  • Article Type: Other
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error