1887
Volume 2022 Number 1
  • ISSN: 1999-7086
  • EISSN: 1999-7094

Abstract

: Complementary medicine therapies are used globally. Around 88% of the countries that are members of the World Health Organization (WHO) reported using such practices while there is no information reported from the remaining 12% of countries 1. Cupping therapy is an ancient therapy trending to be used among athletes 2. Other complementary medicine therapies such as chiropractic are also used in sports medicine 3. This narrative review aims to provide an update on the current status of complementary medicine therapies used in sports medicine. : A comprehensive search using three medical databases (PubMed, Cochrane, TRIIP) was conducted using this search Boolean: (“cupping therapy” + “sports medicine”), (“complementary medicine” +” Sports medicine”), (“cupping therapy” + “athletes”), (“complementary medicine” + ”athletes”) from inception to June 2021. Inclusion criteria were: articles in English language, systematic reviews, reviews, and clinical trials which are in direct relation to the aim of this narrative review. : From the 725 retrieved results, only 17 articles were included in this narrative review after excluding duplicates, non-relevant articles, and applying inclusion/exclusion criteria (Figure 1). Cupping therapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture were identified for their use in sports medicine (Table 1). Complementary medicine therapies were used among a variety of sports such as football, basketball, and martial art players for treating pain, musculoskeletal disorders, and rehabilitation. The use of complementary medicine modalities for sports performance had controversial results. : Complementary medicine modalities such as cupping therapy, acupuncture, and chiropractic are used by a variety of athletes with promising effects. The current evidence is still limited. Hence; conducting high-quality clinical trials is highly encouraged.

Loading

Article metrics loading...

/content/journals/10.5339/jemtac.2022.qhc.7
2022-01-15
2022-05-18
Loading full text...

Full text loading...

/deliver/fulltext/jemtac/2022/1/jemtac.2022.qhc.7.html?itemId=/content/journals/10.5339/jemtac.2022.qhc.7&mimeType=html&fmt=ahah

References

  1. World Health Organization. WHO global report on traditional and complementary medicine 2019 [Internet]. World Health Organization. 2019 [cited 2021 Jul 1]. p. 1–228. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/312342/9789241515436-eng.pdf?ua = 1 .
    [Google Scholar]
  2. Trofa DP, Obana KK, Herndon CL, Noticewala MS, Parisien RL, Popkin CA, et al. The Evidence for Common Nonsurgical Modalities in Sports Medicine, Part 2: Cupping and Blood Flow Restriction. JAAOS Glob Res Rev [Internet]. 2020 Jan;4:(1):e19.00105. Available from: https://journals.lww.com/10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-19-00105 .
    [Google Scholar]
  3. Myburgh C, Andersen J, Bakkely N, Hermannsen J, Zuschlag M, Damgaard P, et al. The Danish sports chiropractic landscape: an exploration of practice characteristics and salient developmental issues. Chiropr Man Therap [Internet]. 2021 Dec 29;29:(1):22. Available from: https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12998-021-00383-4 .
    [Google Scholar]
http://instance.metastore.ingenta.com/content/journals/10.5339/jemtac.2022.qhc.7
Loading
/content/journals/10.5339/jemtac.2022.qhc.7
Loading

Data & Media loading...

  • Article Type: Conference Abstract
Keyword(s): AcupunctureChiropracticComplementary medicineCupping therapy and Sports medicine
This is a required field
Please enter a valid email address
Approval was a Success
Invalid data
An Error Occurred
Approval was partially successful, following selected items could not be processed due to error